Monday, July 4, 2011

Fourth of July in Ethiopia


So, today – July 4th, 2011 – was no holiday for me, but my first day of work in Ethiopia and my second full day being in the country!  I arrived on Saturday and was picked up by another PULSE volunteer in Addis Ababa, Bridget, at the airport and luckily she knew the ropes and was able to take me directly to drop off my bags and then on to the telecommunications office, to ensure that I had some phone and internet connectivity for the week.  All of the telecommunications are government run here, and the office was only open until noon, so it was a tight squeeze, and very complicated process!, to get it all in.  But as I’m writing this now, you can see that I did get it figured out eventually.  I am, however, writing to you from the darkness, waiting to see how long my battery lasts, as today is my first experience here without power, although we did lose water at the house for several hours yesterday.  At least I’ve been able to put my headlamp to good use on day #3 already!  I am living in a house here with two other PULSE volunteers, Bridget (http://temporaryethiopian.blogspot.com) and Sarah (http://www.sarahmoore-gskpulse.com/), who have arrived before me and are also volunteering with Earth Institute of Columbia programs.


For my PULSE assignment, I will be working with the Center for National Health Development in Ethiopia (CNHDE), a project of the Earth Institute at Columbia University.  At work today, I was able to talk to quite a few people and find out a bit more about what I will be working on and get some background reading – so hopefully more on that soon.  Otherwise the work-day was enjoyable and Bridget and I joined a coworker for Ethiopian food for lunch and also some very strong Ethiopian coffee.  They don’t add cream here, but lots of sugar, which is quite necessary for me to get it down.  The Ethiopian food is a bit different then what I experienced at the Ethiopian restaurant back in Chapel Hill, but I’ve found a few things that I like quite a bit already!  The injera (spongey like bread) is much more sour here than I remember from home, but many of the toppings are similar.  I really enjoy shiro (a spiced chick-pea puree), and spiced lentils and today we also had bayanatu (many samplings of mixed vegetables) and one of the piles was a small pile of a few mini-french fries…which I thought was a funny addition to puréed spinach, beet chunks, carrots, beans, etc.   


After work, to celebrate the 4th, we tried our first Ethiopian hamburger.  Can’t say it was my favorite – I do believe it had minced onions in it – but it was an appropriate choice for the day.  Other than Ethiopian, the huge influence food-wise is Italian.  Many pizza and pasta restaurants, and many mixed that served Ethiopian food, pizza and pasta…all in one!  Also, quite a few pastries and baked goods around it seems, definitely more to explore there!


I guess that one of the most notable things so far about the experience is just the sheer number of people (and animals!) encountered every time you step out on the street.  The streets are always bustling, and being of a lighter skin tone, there is no easy way to blend in.  There is definitely a lot of unwanted attention paid to us – many are begging, there are children trying to sell gum, books, or dvds, etc.  Often they will call out “ferenji” (which means foreigner) or “hello”, and although some are more persistent than others, I still feel quite safe in the city, which is nice.


Happy 4th to everyone back home and more to come from Ethiopia soon...


After a 12+ hour plan ride from DC, I got to walk down some very steep plane steps to take my first steps in Africa



My long and skinny Ethiopian room...lots of couch and table space in the common rooms though

First day at work!



Our Fourth of July dinner...we couldn't resist a hamburger from a restaurant with a sign like that!






2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your burger had the dreaded onions, but glad to hear you had the option! We celebrated the 4th by tasting wine in Bordeaux...not very American but it was tasty. See ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're blogging, Laura! Everyone here in the office is reading eagerly.

    I think it's awesome that the restaurant promises to honor the meat! Not sure why it's important, but I have to believe it's much better than the alternative...

    So 'ferenji" means foreigner. Being a Star Trek fan for as long as I can remember, I can't help but think of the highly capitalistic Ferengi. I wonder if this name similarity is more than mere coincidence?

    Donna

    ReplyDelete