Monday, December 26, 2011

Things are winding down here...


Yesterday I spent my Christmas Day in Ethiopia.  Although I must say that it felt very strange having missed all of the pre-Christmas hoopla and activities at home, being away from friends and family, AND in a country where the majority of the people (Ethiopian Orthodox Christians) don’t celebrate Christmas until January 7th. It was a most unique Christmas indeed!  Luckily, I was able to video Skype with my family and virtually join in the Christmas festivities back at home for a while.  Here are a few pictures from my celebrations here in Addis:

I spent the day relaxing at the Sheraton on Christmas Eve, which was decorated very nicely for the holiday

It was beautiful weather for a relaxing day at the pool here on Christmas Eve...enjoying some of the last of  the heat before I soon return to the winter cold back home.

Ready for Christmas Day mass in my Ethiopian finest

The crowded courtyard at the international Catholic church as the Amharic mass let out and the English mass crowd was coming in

Again, December has been another month that has flown by with lots of work to do, as my assignment nears to a close, and also filled withsome very exciting travels to make the most of my last month here in Africa! 

I spent the first weekend of December at a resort on one of the smaller lakes in Debre Zeit, Ethiopia.  The resort was owned by the same group that owned the nice hotel that we stayed at in Bahir Dar earlier, and also owns a spa and restaurant in Addis Ababa – so we knew that it would be nice.  It was only a short drive away, about an hour from our house here, and made for an excellent relaxing weekend.  Click here for more pictures of the weekend adventure.   

Our first stop was a visit to another resort which overlooks Lake Bishoftu, a large crater lake.

A nice view of the lake at the resort we stayed at from the restaurant area.

The next weekend Bridget and I departed on what was definitely an amazing experience.  We had used our Ethiopian airlines frequent flier miles that we had racked up so far, to cash-in on tickets to Tanzania where we took a brief 3-day safari.  It was an amazing experience, and we saw far more animals, and at a much closer distance, than I ever imaged would be possible.  It’s hard to put it into words, or have pictures do it justice, but it was an incredible journey there - one that I’m so glad I decided to make while I was in Africa already.  There were so many great pictures form this trip that I decided to break them out by days: Day 0, Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3.

We started off the trip with an amazing (and amazingly plentiful!) Swahili food sampler at our first lodge.  The food was great and some new variety was a welcome change.

Ready to start my safari adventure!


We saw some impressively large herds of elephants

The giraffes were quite exciting to see so close

An very new-born baby baboon

Such an impressively large tree

We were very lucky to see not one, but two, of the very elusive cheetahs!



Hyenas!  The adults were really quite scary and mangy looking, but I had no idea that baby hyenas were so different looking....furry and dark.


At one of the few times we got out of the vehicle at a little rest stop area...we went to look at the adjoining lake and to our surprise saw hippos there - quite close - maybe too close for comfort - with no barriers or anything. Just the hippo eyes seem to have made it into this photo!



The third weekend in December was Bridget’s last weekend in Addis and her Birthday – so we decided to visit one last church in Addis that we had been meaning to visit, and also have some fun evening outings.  The church we visited was the Holy Trinity cathedral, also known as Kidist Selassie in Amharic, and is the highest ranking Orthodox cathedral in Addis Ababa.  Although the interior is similar to some other churches that we've seen in Ethiopia, the exterior was very ornate and different from what we had seen. The cathedral is also the final resting place of Emperor Haile Selassie and his wife.  Here are the photos from our visit to the cathedral.

Exterior of Holy Trinity Cathedral

Exterior of Holy Trinity Cathedral

Interior dome of Holy Trinity Cathedral

Final resting place of Emperor Haile Selassie

The rest of my pictures from throughout the month of December can be found here.

Last week was an exciting week at work with a workshop to attend and my final results presentation.  My group hosted a workshop at a local hotel where some of my co-workers presented the preliminary results from the survey data that I have been working on in my time here.  It was very well attended by those in government health groups, other NGO staff, and the Ethiopoian Minister of Health.  It was nice to see so much interest in the survey, the preliminary results, and the discussion that followed.  I know that the groundwork that I have been laying for more in-depth analysis will be of great interest to a similar group of people.  Some of the questions asked in the session already were getting at the more advanced analyses I have been starting to do while here.  So it was a nice precursor to my presentation of my final results at the end of last week.
I can’t believe that it’s already my last week here.  

Me with two of my CNHDE co-workers who presented preliminary survey results at the meeting

Me with the CHNDE data manager/IT person.

With my PULSE manager, presenting some of my final analysis results

Co-workers enjoying my results

Me and two of my CNHDE co-workers

Me and my PULSE manager

Although at times this experience has seemed to move quite slowly, and been filled with challenges along the way, looking back in retrospect now it really has gone by quite quickly.  I’m looking forward to a week of wrapping up my work here, and participating in hand-off meetings so that it can be continued on by other staff after I leave…and of course packing up and getting the house ready for my departure, as I’m the last of the roommates to leave.  I’m sure the time will fly by and I’m looking forward to arriving on New Year’s Eve and welcoming in 2012 back at home.  

3 comments:

  1. Good morning how are you?

    My name is Emilio, I am a Spanish boy and I live in a town near to Madrid. I am a very interested person in knowing things so different as the culture, the way of life of the inhabitants of our planet, the fauna, the flora, and the landscapes of all the countries of the world etc. in summary, I am a person that enjoys traveling, learning and respecting people's diversity from all over the world.

    I would love to travel and meet in person all the aspects above mentioned, but unfortunately as this is very expensive and my purchasing power is quite small, so I devised a way to travel with the imagination in every corner of our planet. A few years ago I started a collection of letters addressed to me in which my goal was to get at least 1 letter from each country in the world. This modest goal is feasible to reach in the most part of countries, but unfortunately it’s impossible to achieve in other various territories for several reasons, either because they are countries at war, either because they are countries with extreme poverty or because for whatever reason the postal system is not functioning properly.

    For all this I would ask you one small favour:
    Would you be so kind as to send me a letter by traditional mail from Ethiopia? I understand perfectly that you think that your blog is not the appropriate place to ask this, and even, is very probably that you ignore my letter, but I would call your attention to the difficulty involved in getting a letter from that country, and also I don’t know anyone neither where to write in Ethiopia in order to increase my collection. a letter for me is like a little souvenir, like if I have had visited that territory with my imagination and at same time, the arrival of the letters from a country is a sign of peace and normality and a original way to promote a country in the world. My postal address is the following one:

    Emilio Fernandez Esteban
    Avenida Juan de la Cierva, 44
    28902 Getafe (Madrid)
    Spain

    If you wish, you can visit my blog www.cartasenmibuzon.blogspot.com, where you can see the pictures of all the letters that I have received from whole World.

    Finally I would like to thank the attention given to this letter, and whether you can help me or not, I send my best wishes for peace, health and happiness for you, your family and all your dear beings.

    Yours Sincerely

    ReplyDelete
  2. An African trip wouldn’t be an African trip without going to a safari, right?! A 3-day safari trip must be satisfying! I love your photos, especially the one with the lion who looked like it’s about to attack. If you’re living in metropolitan areas, you’ll definitely enjoy a safari adventure. It’s a good opportunity to feel the natural surroundings and just be away from the stress of the city for a while. Keep on updating the blog. I’d love to see more of your adventures!

    Jordan Hood

    ReplyDelete
  3. hotel harbour view suites dar es salaam can be booked prior to the visit throught roomsxpert online and the best room can be secured for a stay.

    ReplyDelete